The Faculty of Health Sciences at VIA University College just signed an agreement with the prestigious Shanghai Institute of Health Sciences. The two educational institutions plan to offer professional training programmes for healthcare workers in the growing Chinese eldercare industry.
The agreement is yet another sign of China’s increasing interest in Danish knowhow on educating professionals for the modern welfare society.
"The agreement with the Shanghai Institute of Health Sciences shows how China has become aware of the knowledge we have in Denmark in relation to professional education in areas such as eldercare and rehabilitation," says Aase Lydiksen, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences.
Increasing need for eldercare
Due to its ageing population, China needs to boost the number of professionals working in healthcare. Shanghai Institute of Health Sciences is affiliated with Shanghai’s Municipal Education Commission and so has first-hand knowledge of the specific needs the city has in developing it’s healthcare services.
The collaboration between the Institute and VIA means that programmes will build on Danish knowhow - but targeted Chinese culture.
"Together we will provide training to public and private institutions who need to upgrade their staff to take care of the increasing number of Chinese elderly," says Aase Lydiksen .
As a part of the agreement, the two partners will establish a Sino-Danish Center for Community Health – where collaborative educational programs will be developed.
VIA will provide Danish know-how
VIA has cooperated with Chinese universities since 2001 and is certified by the People’s Republic of China to offer educational programmes in China. In addition to academic partnerships, VIA increasingly works with Chinese authorities and private organisations in delivering Danish knowhow.
As a consequence of increasing interest, VIA has opened an office at the European Project Innovation Center (EUPIC) in Chengdu. The office is shared with the municipalities of Horsens and Hedensted.
For more information, please contact:
Aase Lydiksen, Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences, VIA University College
T: +45 8755 2960
About Shanghai Institute of Medicine and Health Sciences
- Shanghai University of Medicine and Health Sciences is a medical university formed from the merger of the Shanghai institute of Health Sciences, the Shanghai Medical Instrumentation College and the Shanghai Academy of Health Sciences
- Through its nearly six decade history, the school has achieved national acclaim through its distinctive training for medical professionals and personnel
- The school educates health professionals with character and strong practical skills, and it also emphasises clinical medicine and human health
- The school has an experienced full-time teaching team with high teaching qualifications, medical technique and engineering practice
- The school is the first to have 4 affiliated hospitals and many other teaching hospitals
- It also has more than 10 national and Shanghai municipal public training bases
- The school owns three campuses in Pudong, Yangpu and Xuhui. By 2020, it is expected to reach 12,000 full-time students.
Download original photo