On this course you will learn how to teach and plan water activities for schoolchildren. When working with water activities, it is important to know about safety in and on the water. Therefore, both first aid and safety are key elements in this course.
The Swimming Teacher Education, which also includes kayaking and a first aid course, is aimed at students studying to become teachers or pedagogues. It is also relevant for students with an interest in sports, water activities, movement and learning.
From the course, you will gain valuable skills and a stronger professional profile in planning and teaching water activities and swimming for schoolchildren of primary and lower secondary school age.
- Teaching schoolchildren swimming, including the completion of the swimming instructor education
- Teaching and carrying out basic first aid in a school
- Teaching activities in and on the water
- The Danish Swimming Union pool-lifeguard test
- End-of-course exam in the different modules.
During the five weeks of the Swimming Teacher Education course students will carry out different water activities e.g. swimming, kayaking and first aid:
Water activities and module introduction. Water activities include basic diving practice, different swimming styles, etc.
Activities on the water – kayaking and canoeing. Presentation of the different disciplines for the end-of-course exam.
- First aid training and introduction to the pool-lifeguard exam.
- The pool-lifeguard exam.
- A three days trip in a canoe/ kayak with other summer school students from the Sports Specialisation programme.
Introduction to children’s teaching and the written assignment. Start teaching and completing tests.
The last week consists of teaching children, tests and assignment writing.
Some elements of the Swimming Teacher Education course are done in conjunction with the Sports Specialisation Programme, e.g. introduction, dinners, social activities and excursions. At the end of the course, there will be a social gathering for students from both courses.
Read more about Swimming Teacher Education (pdf)