Print

Software Development with UML and Java

Code

IT-SDJ1

Version

3.1

Offered by

ICT Engineering

ECTS

10

Prerequisites

General admittance requirements.

The course must be passed before graduation.

Main purpose

The main purpose of the course is to provide students with the qualifications needed to understand the core object-oriented concepts and to implement smaller programs in Java from UML class diagrams.
 
 
 

Knowledge

The student should be able to:
  • Identify the Java lexical structures: keywords, separators, operators, identifiers, literals and comments.
  • Explain details of UML class diagrams
  • Identify selection and loop structures in UML activity diagrams

 

Skills

The student should be able to:
  • Construct Java programs with proper choice of selection and loop structures. 
  • Create and use objects in Java
  • Implement classes in Java using the object oriented concepts: encapsulation, inheritance and polymorphism
  • Implement one-to-one relations and differentiate between association, aggregation and composition 
  • Implement one-to-many relations using array structures and a simple collection class.
  • Implement exception handling for different types of exceptions
  • Implement persistence in text and binary files
  • Construct simple event-based GUI applications
  • Construct Java source code documentations
  • Interpret UML class diagrams, and construct corresponding Java code

Competences

The student should be able to:
  • Exemplify and discuss basic object-oriented concepts, including encapsulation, relationships, inheritance and polymorphism
  • Implement small scale systems from UML class diagrams, and construct related GUIs
 

Topics


 

Teaching methods and study activities

The semester has approx. 110 classroom lessons. A number of tests and assignments will be given during the course. One of these tests represent 20 % of the exam, see Grading Criteria below.
 
Study Activity Model
CATEGORY 1
Participation of lecturer and students
Initiated by the lecturer
84 hours - 30%
  • Lessons
  • Exercises in class
  • Exam
CATEGORY 2
Participation of students
Initiated by the lecturer
112 hours - 40%
  • Exercise, assignments and hand-ins
  • Group work
  • Homework
CATEGORY 3
Participation of students
Initiated by students
56 hours - 20%
  • Preparation for exam
  • Self-study
  • Group work
  • Literature search
CATEGORY 4
Participation of lecturer and students
Initiated by students
28 hours - 10%
  • Study guidance
  • Study group meetings

Resources

Tony Gaddis, "Starting Out with Java - early objects", 5th edition Addison-Wesley, 2015

Evaluation

Permit criteria for attending examination:
 
 Mandatory course activities completed.

The student must have an attendance of at least 75% in order to qualify for the exam. Students who do not have at least 75% attendance will automatically fail the ordinary exam.

Examination

* Individual oral examination based upon a subject found by draw.

* No preparation.

Oral examination where the student will pick an unfamiliar programming exercise at random. The student must explain the UML involved and demonstrate how to perform the programming task using a laptop and/or the blackboard. The time allotted for the examination is 30 minutes including assessment.

The grade for the oral examination counts for 80% of the final grade while the remaining 20% comes from a test conducted in the middle of the course. 

* Allowed tools: All

* External examiner.

Grading criteria

* Examinations account for 80 % of final grade.
 
* A test account for 20 % of final grade.
 
* Re-exams account for 100% of the grade.
 
 

* Rexams account for 100 % of the grade.

Additional information

None

Responsible

Steffen Vissing Andersen (SVA)

Valid from

9/1/2019 12:00:00 AM

Course type

Compulsory Course for all ICT Engineering
Project
1. semester

Keywords